Crime Busters of SA: farm murders 2001-2003
Solidarity trade union: - list of farm murders
2003 - June 2009:
- ► April (10)
- ► March (9)
- ► November (15)
- ► October (15)
- ► September (8)
- ► August (13)
- ► July (14)
- ► June (20)
- ► May (30)
- ► April (29)
- ► March (30)
- ► February (37)
- ► December (34)
- ► November (41)
- ► October (38)
- ► September (41)
- ► August (42)
- ► July (60)
- ► June (60)
- ► May (81)
- ► April (63)
- ► March (78)
- ► February (90)
- ► January (80)
- ► December (91)
- ► November (73)
- ► October (51)
- ► September (54)
- ► August (49)
- ► July (62)
- ► June (57)
- ▼ May 21 (4)
- ► April (68)
- ► March (74)
- ► February (80)
- ► January (95)
- ► December (124)
- ► November (96)
- ► October (117)
- ► September (120)
- ► August (71)
- ► July (83)
- ► June (61)
- ► May (46)
- ► April (56)
- ► March (48)
- ► February (30)
- ► December (59)
- ► November (48)
- ► October (54)
- ► September (43)
- ► August (15)
- ► July (13)
- A Stuijt
- Retired South African medical journalist, ex-Sunday Times of Johannesburg.
Summary: Malema ‘Shoot Boer’ hate speech song prohibited until High Court hearing; the ruling ANC catches flak for planning military training for its youth cadres; and the State’s high-profile ‘right-wing terrorism’ case has all but collapsed: suspects say ‘confessions’ were extracted under torture; and one arrested youth was raped in a police cell…
Hatespeech ‘Shoot the Boer’ song case moved to High Court
May 20, 2010 - The hate speech complaint against ANC Youth League president Julius Malema was referred to a High Court by the Equality Court on Thursday. Meanwhile it remains illegal to sing it in public. "I think we can safely accept that the High Court wields the bigger stick... I accept that," magistrate Alvin Chaitram said. He “accepted concerns about geographic jurisdiction as the genocidal song ‘Shoot the Boer’ had been sung around the country.”
Magistrate Chaitram complained that “AfriForum should have foreseen this before approaching the Equality Court in Johannesburg.” However Afriforum lawyer Willie Spies said they had approached the Equality Court first ‘because the High Court does not have Equality Court clerks to get the matter going…’
Meanwhile the lyrics would remain prohibited until the case goes to the High Court. It would be heard “at the High Court in Johannesburg sitting as the Equality Court” – i.e. in the same building.
AfriForum had complained about Malema's public singing of the lyrics at public meetings, including in front of a large crowd of students at the University of Johannesburg earlier this year. The High Courts in Pretoria and Johannesburg had already put a temporary halt to the public singing of the lyrics – which clearly terrify and taunt the entire Afrikaner minority.
- AfriForum’s formal complaint stated that singing ‘Shoot the Boer” was hate speech directed at Afrikaners and farmers and the matter came to a head after the slaughter of Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging leader Eugene Terre'Blanche in April on his Ventersdorp farm.
Malema was not present and neither were his vociferous entourage of supporters. His lawyer Tumi Mokwena concifmred that ‘in terms of the court order, anyone singing that song before it went to the High Court could be found in contempt of court. “- Sapa http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?from=rss_&fArticleId=5478519
The hatespeech songs of the ANC which anger, terrify Afrikaners:
2010-05-14 Cape Town – Meanwhile, opposition parties criticised Defence and Military Veterans Minister Lindiwe Sisulu's decision to let senior members of the ANC Youth League -- including its hatespeech-chanting president Julius Malema, do military training. Democratic Alliance defence spokesperson David Maynier said in a statement that Sisulu was ‘politicising the military’ with this decision. http://dienuwesuidafrika.blogspot.com/2010/05/ancyl-military-training-slammed.html
Right-wing ‘terrorism’ case collapses
George Kiratzidis, 21, far left, of Phalaborwa said he ‘confessed’ to terrorism claims - because he was tortured and signed any document put in front of him…
2010-05-18 Twenty-one-year-old George Kiratzidis , a dual Greek-South African citizen applied in the Phalaborwa magistrate’s court for bail yesterday. Kiratzidis said he was tortured and forced to sign false confessions.
Kiratzidis (far left) was originally arrested under charges of ‘terrorism’ together with André Stroh, 21; Francois Vos, 36; Hendrik Venter, 21; Albertus Kruger, 22; Marthinus Christopher Vorster, 19 (second left) ; and Ruan Rufus Louw, 22 (third left).
During their first appearances, the white men appeared in a court room which was crowded solely with hostile ANC-members and outside the chants of “War” and “Shoot the Boer” were reportedly heard. Posters were held up with the word “WAR”. The Afrikaner men and the Greek-South African all denied having any links to right-wing organisations.
Foiled plot ’no threat’ to WC Experts said shortly after the dramatic announcement in parliament that this allegedly ‘foiled plot by right-wing extremists to blow up townships ahead of next month’s World Cup” – as it was described by the police minister -- posed no threat to the country whatsoever. The police minister claimed that they had ‘discovered an arms cache and explosives, which he said would be used ‘to attack black neighbourhoods.” However political and security analysts say there was ‘little risk of a terror attack by white extremists during the 2010 World Cup”. http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Foiled-plot-no-threat-to-SWC-20100511
The group of men were arrested in April 2010 after these dramatic, widely propagandised police-swoops after they had held a drunken party at the gravesite of ANC-stalwart comrade Norman Mashabane and had damaged his gravestone - because the white men had become deeply angered and hurt about the constant hatespeech chanting from ANC-members, they said in court statements since their arrests. They all deny that they had any plans to carry out any ‘terrorist acts’.
The State’s ‘right-wing terrorism case’ has now nearly collapsed:
The State withdrew the charges against Albertus Kruger (22) and Hendrik Venter (21) last week.
- And the charges of “terrorism” against Andre Stroh – who was thrown into a holding cell with arrested black men with long criminal records and brutally raped in the Pietersburg police cells – and against Francois Vos were both reduced to the illegal possession of some old army ammunition, for which the two men have to appear in court on 24 June. Both were released on bail.
- George Kiratzidis said in court during his bail application that he had ‘confessed to the terrorism charges and had signed false confessions because he was tortured.”
- Christopher Vorster ‘s legal representative also testified on his behalf that the young man was “forced to sign false confessions and that he also was brutally assaulted and choked while held at the Gravelotte police station”. A psychiatrist’s report handed into the court states that Vorster now suffers from chronic fear, depression and post-traumatic stress.
According to the State’s original charge sheets before the court – and also according to the Police Minister’s dramatic announcement in Parliament -- all six young white men were being charged with ‘terrorism, illegal possession of ammunition, firearms and vast caches of explosives to carry out attacks in black townships and against government buildings.’
According to the State’s original charge sheet, the white men had also ‘confessed’ to wanting to blow up government offices in Limpopo and attacking black townships because they were ‘angered by the Shoot the Boer genocidal hatespeech chants of ANC youth leader Julius Malema. However, while all six men admit to defacing the gravesite during their drunken bout, they also deny the State’s claims of ‘terrorism’ – instead they submitted statements to the court saying that they would only admit to wrecking the gravesite of ANC-comrade Norman Mashabane, the former ambassador to Indonesia while they were having a drinking party together.
Kiratzidis: ‘feet were chained to wooden bench – beaten over the face with rubber sheet”
While the six white men were under the tender loving care of the SAPS, they were treated most brutally -- according to medical and psychiatric reports submitted to the court: Kiratzidis said at the start of his bail application yesterday that he was beaten by members of the SAPS’ serious crimes contingent after he had turned himself in on 21 April. The SAPS had been trying to arrest him at his home on 19 April but he had initially fled. He was then held in a police cell at the Modjadjis Gorge (Devil’s Gorge) police station he said. However just after he was arrested the police took him to a lapa (a barbeque-enclosure) outside Polokwane/Pietersburg.
- There his feet were chained to a wooden bench. He was smashed across the face with a piece of rubber and during these assaults nearly passed out several times he said. He did not want to be tortured any more and said he would sign any statement they handed him. “All the statements signed by me were however made under duress and they are all lies,’ he said in court.
Vorster: ”post-traumatic stress after police beating”
Christopher Vorster also said he was assaulted by police members at the Gravelotte-police station – he was slapped and choked. According to a psychiatrist’s report handed in to the court earlier, Vorster, also arrested on 21 April, now suffers from chronic fear, depression and post-traumatic stress.
Stroh: Police failed to supervise holding cells where the young Afrikaner was raped:
Meanwhile André Stroh (21) was released on bail of a mere R3,000 on Friday – the National Prosecuting Authority withdrew all the “terrorism” charges against him. Stroh submitted medical statements to the court proving that he was raped while he was held in a Pietersburg/Polokwane police cell. He now has to undergo a long course of antiretroviral treatment to prevent transfer of the AIDS-virus. There is no report that the man who allegedly sodomised the white man has been charged with the offence, however.
It’s also still a mystery exactly where the alleged ‘large weapons and explosives caches’ did come from which the police claimed they had confiscated in the homes of the six white men during their searches. This evidence may or may not emerge during the trial. Stroh was ordered to reappear on 25 June with Francois Vos (36).
Equality court Shoot Boer hatecharge case: http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?from=rss_&fArticleId=5478519