Crime Busters of SA: farm murders 2001-2003
Solidarity trade union: - list of farm murders
2003 - June 2009:
- ► May (9)
- ► April (9)
- ► March (9)
- ► November (15)
- ► October (15)
- ► September (8)
- ► August (13)
- ► July (14)
- ► June (20)
- ► May (30)
- ► April (29)
- ► March (30)
- ► February (37)
- ► December (34)
- ► November (41)
- ► October (38)
- ► September (41)
- ► August (42)
- ► July (60)
- ► June (60)
- ► May (81)
- ► April (63)
- ► March (78)
- ► February (90)
- ► January (80)
- ► December (91)
- ► November (73)
- ▼ Oct 06 (3)
- ► September (54)
- ► August (49)
- ► July (62)
- ► June (57)
- ► May (93)
- ► April (68)
- ► March (74)
- ► February (80)
- ► January (95)
- ► December (124)
- ► November (96)
- ► October (117)
- ► September (120)
- ► August (71)
- ► July (83)
- ► June (61)
- ► May (46)
- ► April (56)
- ► March (48)
- ► February (30)
- ► December (59)
- ► November (48)
- ► October (54)
- ► September (43)
- ► August (15)
- ► July (13)
- A Stuijt
- Retired South African medical journalist, ex-Sunday Times of Johannesburg.
summary: The adult co-accused in the botched murder investigation of Eugene Terre’Blanche, should never have been granted bail and they want him back in prison said the National Prosecuting Authority’s attorney; Gutsy Afrikaans schoolgirl Alicia O’Dell, testifying at the trial of her mother’s murder-suspect: ‘I felt his cold hands around my neck, he had longish nails…’ ; Klerksdorp landlord Willem van Rensburg got so gatvol about his tenants’ rental arrears that he took a front-end loader to his own rental properties…
“Eugene Terre’Blanche ‘s murder-accused should never have gotten bail” – National Prosecuting Authority
Picture: Among the great many missed forensic clues by the SAPS team investigating the EugeneTerre’Blanche murder scene were indications of detailed advance planning before he was so gruesomely slashed to death with pangas: for instance the ‘damaged’ window latch allowed easy access to the Terre’Blanche bedroom; a red book cover was left behind with the words “Mountain Man Kill”, a shoeprint on the sill was overlooked by SAPS forensic examinators … and many other clues. And months into the investigation, Ventersdorp SAPS Capt Tsietsi Mano, who had also spread false information to the news media, was arrested for torturing witnesses in previous investigations… http://censorbugbear-reports.blogspot.com/2010/04/terreblanche-murder-scene-independent.html
Pretoria – Oct 6 2010 The National Prosecuting Authority ‘s advocate George Baloyi told the Pretoria High Court that Eugene Terre’blanche’s co-accused murder suspect Chris Mahlangu ‘should never have been granted bail. There were no extinuating circumstances for the Ventersdorp magistrate’s court to justify him getting bail even if he had reported the murder to the police himself….’
Mahlangu and ‘a minor male’ are on trial for the gruesome murder: Terre’Blanche was found dismembered and mutilated. No motives are certain: nothing was robbed - however the murder of the Boer-Republican leader is widely seen as a political assassination under very murky circumstances: independent forensic experts for instance, have uncovered evidence that the Ventersdorp SAPS had botched the forensic-field examination from the very first day - and that they had also spread false information to the news media about the circumstances in which Terre’Blanche had been found. Importantly, investigating officer Capt Tsietsi Mano who testified in favour of Mahlangu’s bail application, was later arrested for torturing witnesses. The impoverished and physically-ailing Terre’Blanche, who was recovering from heart-bypass surgery, was found hacked to death with pangas in his delapidated rental farm-house in April last year. The Ventersdorp magistrate’s court had granted R5,000 bail to Mahlangu on 14 July and the State applied to rescind his bail. The trial starts on 22 November. Judge Julius Matojane is expected to decide the issue on Thursday. Terre’Blanche’s murder is widely viewed as a political assassination. http://www.nuus24.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/ET-moordverdagte-moes-nooit-borgtog-kry-20101006
- independent forensic field-examination of Terre’Blanche farm and murder-scene: pictures of SAPS’ missed forensic evidence: http://censorbugbear-reports.blogspot.com/2010/04/terreblanche-murder-scene-independent.html
Nothing was robbed during July 29 2009 murder-attack against the O’Dell family in Noordheuwel, Krugersdorp
Oct 6 2010 – Alicia O’Dell, the teen daughter of murdered Krugersdorp occupational-therapist Marinda O’Dell -- whose throat was cut on July 29 2009 by armed black men who stole nothing -- gave courageous testimony in the trial of co-accused Mphaphantsi Stanely Mabulana, 29 yesterday. She testified in detail how she had pleaded with one knifeman to ‘please not to hurt her”. Her father Henry had been in Durban for business when the family-home was attacked.
Beeld journalist Amanda Roestoff reported that the gutsy matric-pupil of the Afrikaans High School Noordheuwel, testified at the murder-trial of Mphaphantsi Stanley Mabulana, 29 (co-accused of Phetoke Cedrick Lebea, 30, who confessed and was found guilty of ‘helping to murder Mrs O’Dell’ )
Mabulana denies all the charges – even though he was arrested shortly afterwards hiding in the ceiling of the murder-house. However Lebea is expected to testify as an important State-witness against Mabulana: after Lebea’s arrest in Munsieville, he had readily confessed that he had ‘helped to murder” Mrs O’Dell – although providing no motive: it’s still a mystery why nothing was stolen.
Alicia testified on closed-circuit camera because she still suffers from post-traumatic shock syndrome and also has to be protected as an important state-witness. Her mother , who had arrived home shortly after Alicia was knocked unconscious, was found murdered – her throat cut from ear to ear.
“I felt his cold hands around my neck, he had longish nails…’
Alicia told the court that she was attacked inside her Krugersdorp home after her return from school on July 29. She was choked and beaten with a heavy spanner and passed out. “I pleaded with him not to hurt me as I saw him walking towards me with a knife in his hand. I then struggled to keep him out by pushing against the door while he was pushing it from the other side. He got inside and immediately started choking me, holding my neck with his hands. I felt his cold hands. He had longish fingernails. I started feeling faint. I saw the knife on the floor and tried to pick it up but he kicked it away. I lost conscienceness,’ she testified.
She testified that she had identified three black men as the attackers when she was taken to the Kagiso-police station. “I recognised the three because they looked so similar to one another, each with bears and very dark-skinned.’ She made a later court appearance during which she had however positively identified Mabulana as one of the attackers. The trial continues. http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Skoolmeisie-pleit-by-mans-wat-haar-oorval-ma-vermoor-20101006
Previous report: 20090729 Marinda O’Dell, 48, killed with throat cut, daughter Alicia, 17, bludgeoned, Noordheuwel Krugersdorp
- Aug 1 2009 - One of her clients was also present in the house of occupational therapist Mrs Marinda O’Dell, 48, whose throat was cut in her Krugersdorp home on July 29 2009. Mrs Elsa Mangolias and her son Gerald Hawkins, 9, did not however witness the gruesome murder, but were in the consulting room nearby when Mrs O’Dell’s throat was murdered. She was ambushed by two or three men who had also just assaulted and injured Mrs O’Dell’s 17-year-old daughter Alicia. The nine-year-old boy also needed trauma treatment, although he ‘didn’t witness the murder’, said a relative. One of the knifemen, Phetole Cedrick Lebea (28) of Munisieville, submitted a confession that he’d helped murder Mrs O’Dell when he appeared with co-accused Mphaphantshi Stanley Mabulana (27) in the Krugersdorp magistrate’s court. Their case will be heard again on Friday August 6 2009. Mabulana was arrested by police hiding in the ceiling of the O’Dell murder house, and Lebea was arrested within two hours at his home. The murder attack seems to be motiveless: nothing was stolen. The attack against these two Afrikaans women occurred at around 2pm in Keersomberg Street, Noordheuwel, said police inspector Odette van Staden. Alicia was attacked shortly after she ‘d arrived at 2pm at her the family home – while her mother was dropping off some disabled children from the nearby Lantern School at their homes. The daughter had still stopped outside her home’s front-door to chat to Mrs Mangolias and her nine-year-old son Gerald who were waiting there for a scheduled occupational therapy session, before going inside – where she was attacked in her bedroom. Her mother showed up at the house very shortly thereafter, brought her clients to her consulting room, calling out to her daughter Alicia in the meantime. However when her daughter did not respond to her call, she contacted a girlfriend on her cellphone asking her if she knew Alicia’s whereabouts -- and was still talking to her friend when she was repeatedly stabbed in her body and her throat was slashed, police said. Police arrived within just minutes, writes Beeld.The family patriarch, Henry O’Dell was in Durban at the time of the murder attack on his family and rushed back that evening. http://jv.news24.com/Beeld/Suid-Afrika/0,,3-975_2543663,00.html http://jv.news24.com/Beeld/Suid-Afrika/0,,3-975_2544185,00.html
Klerksdorp landlord Willem Van Rensburg gatvol about rental arrears: arrested for damaging own rental houses with a front-end-loader… but denies attempted murder…
Oct 6 2010 - Klerksdorp Landlord Willem van Rensburg got so gatvol about the huge rental-arrears by his 80 tenants living on his smallholding in 40 brick homes and a steel container, that he allegedly damaged some of his own homes and pushed over the container with a front-end-loader on Saturday. The local ANC-mayor has turned it into a major political row. Van Rensburg was accused of ‘attempted murder’ and ‘deliberate damage of property’, reports Susan Cilliers from Klerksdorp magistrate’s court. http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Sakeman-in-hof-na-hy-huise-op-sy-hoewe-beskadig-20101005
The Afrikaans newspaper writes that ‘two-year-old Priscila Selogilwe allegedly escaped injury – she had allegedly gotten so frightened by the noise from the front-end-loader that she had run back into her family’s steel container home and her dad, tenant Kleinboy Selogilwe had to snatch away his daughter only seconds before Van Rensburg started pushing it over with his tractor”. Van Rensburg denies the murder attempt: he said he and his two co-workers had made certain that none of the rental homes had been occupied before attacking them with his front-end-loader.
“ By Saturday they have drunk away all their money… “
“I know I have acted wrongly but I am just sick and tired of my tenants not paying their rental arrears for the past eight months and never keeping their promises to ‘pay me by Friday’. When I show up to collect the rents on Saturdays, they have already drunk away all their money”.
- North West police Lt.col Junior Metsi said Van Rensburg was released on warning on Monday and ordered to appear on November 1 in the Klerksdorp Magistrate’s court.
Political row with ANC-mayhor Poppy Seduku
The entire business has been turned into a political row with local acting mayor Poppy Seduku calling in the police and the fire department to the smallholding ‘when hearing of the event,’ she said. “The municipality took the tenants tents, matresses and food and asked them if they wanted to move to municipal land and be given government-housing,’ she said.
Van Rensburg said he and his co-workers were certain that there was no-one inside any of the rental houses -- and he had wanted to merely move aside the steel container ‘because it was in the way”. It fell over accidentially, he said – and there most certainly was no-one inside the fourty brick-houses he rents out to some 80 residents.
His co-workers, including Mr Japie Porter, confirmed that they had made certain that there was no-one inside the houses before Van Rensburg took his front-end loader to them.
Van Rensburg said he’d already warned the non-paying tenants a month earlier that they “would be removed” if they did not pay their rental arreas. Of the tenants who spoke to Beeld admitted only to being ‘three months behind’. However Van Rensburg showed Beeld his receipt-book and his long list of rental-arrears which proved his claim.
The attempted murder charge centers on the accusations by tenant Kleinboy Selogilwe, wife Irene and daughter Priscilla, 2: the Selogilwe family claims that their little girl was nearly killed when Van Rensburg had pushed over their steel container-home. Van Rensburg said there was no-one inside. http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Sakeman-in-hof-na-hy-huise-op-sy-hoewe-beskadig-20101005